Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who writes music, especially as a professional occupation.‘Mozart was her favourite composer’
melodist, symphonist, songwriter, singer-songwriter, songster, writertunesmith, songsmithView synonyms
- ‘His great grandfather was a great folk music composer in Norway and wrote a lot of fiddle tunes.’
- ‘On this view, a human being might be compared to a composer or songwriter creating a piece of music.’
- ‘Bogard, on the other hand, is a promoter of new music and an advocate of music by women composers.’
- ‘In addition to his dramatic music, he was a notable composer of chamber music for strings.’
- ‘Anyway, imagine for a second that you are the composer of music for television programmes.’
- ‘There cannot have been many, if any, concerts in York that were entirely devoted to music by women composers.’
- ‘He studied the work of classical composers like Debussy and Stravinsky.’
- ‘A score like this from a composer as vital to contemporary music as Ligeti has to be recorded.’
- ‘Vladigerov is one of the first Bulgarian composers whose music is recognised all over the world.’
- ‘You can play them as well, as the composer has included the sheet music for all nine tunes in the CD booklet.’
- ‘However, he laments the fact that some composers have never written for their instrument.’
- ‘There are also composers who write concert music that cries out to be used in films.’
- ‘The pair will play their own compositions alongside a varied programme of music by other composers.’
- ‘Last week we delved into the world of classical music composers who had been inspired by the beautiful game.’
- ‘He was also a gifted music scholar, composer and pianist - a talent now beyond him due to his illness.’
- ‘As always it is a matter of time before the ideas composers write today will be fully dissimulated.’
- ‘It points up his similarities to classical composers like Debussy and Chopin.’
- ‘For the concert, the composers have written a variety of pieces that are aimed at the talents of the young musicians.’
- ‘Igor Stravinsky was the first composer to have his complete works recorded while he was still alive.’
- ‘He regards him as one of the leading composers of liturgical music in the country.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.