One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A secret or underhand plan.‘fears of a Jesuit complot to undermine republican institutions’
conspiracy, intrigue, secret plan, secret scheme, stratagemView synonyms
- ‘I cannot brook their vile complots.’
- ‘Their sordid complots are destined to explode into an orgy of violence.’
- ‘The 7th chapter denounces "the anti-astrological process" (the malignant academic complot to exclude astrology from the science mainstream).’
- ‘Fears of a Jesuit complot to undermine republican institutions were widely bruited in the 1870s.’
- ‘There are swindles and scandals, sword fights at midnight, and complots at the palace.’
Mid 16th century: French, of uncertain origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.