Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An obsessive, typically indiscriminate, collector or fan of something.‘this compilation of singles and B-sides has it usefulness for completists’‘horror completists may find the film worth a sit-through’
- ‘Film noir completists will certainly want to add this to their collection, especially for the budget price, but others are advised to wait until the next entries in the ‘Fox Film Noir’ line.’
- ‘As such, this collection is a must only for Herzog completists and fans of short subject documentary (I know you're out there).’
- ‘Singles boxes one through three were first issued in 1991 and are now being reissued with volumes four through six to celebrate over 20 years of spendthrift Depeche Mode completists.’
- ‘They're real trash, for collectors and completists only.’
- ‘It's not a good introduction to one of the most important American guitar bands ever - for that buy Doolittle - and completists presumably have all the singles anyway.’
- ‘It's recommended for Astaire and Coppola completists, students of the cultural history of race, fans of the Great American Songbook, and Petula Clark groupies.’
- ‘For completists and fanatics, such a label is manna from heaven; for those less impassioned, the key issue is whether a given release adds anything significant to the Glass oeuvre.’
- ‘That said, like all weirdo songwriters destined to evolve into cranky, bearded hermits, he has inspired his own legion of obsessive completists.’
- ‘Certainly, this is not to be considered an ‘ultimate’ set by television or Tony Orlando completists.’
- ‘All are for sale on Amazon, at prices ranging zanily from £31.49 to 0.01p, and Cartwright completists will want the lot.’
- ‘But it is a new Pogo book, and Pogo completists have been eager to get their mitts on a copy of what may turn out to be the rarest Pogo item in this country.’
- ‘Many bloggers are completists too - information completists.’
- ‘Stephen King completists will want this disc for their collection - for the rest of us, it's at least worth a Friday night rental.’
- ‘For completists, the revealing extras include new amateur footage, the highlight being a previously unheard song.’
- ‘It is competently made, but lacks the heart and brains of its predecessors, so I can only recommend it for die-hard Asian horror nuts and completists.’
- ‘All this aside, the boxes are quite obviously the work of obsessives, compiled for completists.’
- ‘The term ‘trainspotter’ needn't just be applied to drum 'n' bass obsessives or US sitcom completists.’
- ‘This also features some of the material I reference above, and obsessives and completists will want to track it down.’
- ‘Admittedly, it would be a stretch to call this release essential, but it would be sad if music this good was confined to the collections of completists.’
- ‘But, for me and fellow collector scum, sets like this serve as additions to a completist's collection.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.