Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Willing to please others or to accept what they do or say without protest.‘he went to join his apparently complaisant wife for Christmas’
willing, assenting, acquiescent, agreeable, amenable, cooperative, accommodating, obliging, biddable, compliant, pliant, deferential, docile, obedient, conformable, tractableView synonyms
- ‘Ruthless spin doctors and complaisant media can be a tragic mix’
- ‘These ideas were encouraged by complaisant Western ‘development economists’ and by a dubious semantic innovation.’
- ‘Strangely though, this doesn't come over as frosty or nihilistic, but harmless and complaisant.’
- ‘Although the subsidiary was complaisant to do the parent's will, it did function in giving effect to the parent's wishes and the parent did not usurp the control of the subsidiary.’
- ‘And a complaisant public is also, of course, invaluable to the transaction.’
- ‘In fact, if he means to keep it up, newspapers may want to send a mixed party of philosophers and wranglers, instead of complaisant hacks, to his next party conference.’
- ‘Noah's eyes were slightly jealous, but he was so complaisant that I figured he'd get over it in a day.’
- ‘The complaisant attitudes came from some surprising quarters.’
- ‘His friends, who have known him for more than 25 years, say he has never in his life used one single cuss word, has never been unfriendly and has always been very complaisant.’
- ‘But nothing seems to shift a complaisant populace.’
Complaisant does not mean the same as complacent. See complacent
Mid 17th century: French, from complaire acquiesce in order to please, from Latin complacere to please.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.