One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Humans dwell complainingly in a quite narrow range of climates; ants live without demur at every extreme, in tundra and rain forest, in swamp and desert, deep beneath the earth and in the topmost trees.’
- ‘She is calling attention to her clothes, complainingly.’
- ‘We packed up the scope first, then the picnic stuff, and the kids went (sleepily and complainingly) into their carseats last.’
- ‘The rich moved complainingly into well-fortified hotels, and the police and firemen helped themselves to the contents of bombed or abandoned homes.’
- ‘We are accustomed to governments not doing what we elect them to do, so we carry on uncomplainingly (or complainingly in my case) without demanding answers from our elected representative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.