One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Feeling or showing no sympathy and concern for others.‘his life has been turned upside down by a cold and compassionless government’
- ‘That might make some of these heartless, compassionless people vying for political office think twice about using that office for anything other than the public good.’
- ‘What a bunch of mean-spirited, compassionless punks, making themselves feel better by picking on a single mother who works long hours trying to feed her family.’
- ‘Alcatraz embodies a rigid and compassionless system that strips the humanity from all but the few who have the strength to resist.’
- ‘Driven by an insatiable and compassionless greed, the predatory capitalist system won out.’
- ‘Just when you think you cannot be shocked by an article on human behaviour - there it is - a new level of compassionless and empathy-devoid intellect that beggars belief.’
- ‘How could he be so compassionless, so cruel to his daughter?’
- ‘To his critics, he is an compassionless bureaucrat who denies cancer patients lifesaving medicines using red tape and fine print.’
- ‘Randall has two moods: compassionless and acidic.’
- ‘An ill-tempered, compassionless moneygrubber, Scrooge runs roughshod over everyone he encounters.’
- ‘Garfield's visceral acting and Shaw and Rossen's forceful screenplay compel us, perhaps against our will, to accept Jacob Goff as an amoral, compassionless chiseler.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.