Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Feeling or showing no sympathy and concern for others.‘his life has been turned upside down by a cold and compassionless government’
- ‘An ill-tempered, compassionless moneygrubber, Scrooge runs roughshod over everyone he encounters.’
- ‘How could he be so compassionless, so cruel to his daughter?’
- ‘Randall has two moods: compassionless and acidic.’
- ‘Alcatraz embodies a rigid and compassionless system that strips the humanity from all but the few who have the strength to resist.’
- ‘Driven by an insatiable and compassionless greed, the predatory capitalist system won out.’
- ‘Just when you think you cannot be shocked by an article on human behaviour - there it is - a new level of compassionless and empathy-devoid intellect that beggars belief.’
- ‘That might make some of these heartless, compassionless people vying for political office think twice about using that office for anything other than the public good.’
- ‘Garfield's visceral acting and Shaw and Rossen's forceful screenplay compel us, perhaps against our will, to accept Jacob Goff as an amoral, compassionless chiseler.’
- ‘What a bunch of mean-spirited, compassionless punks, making themselves feel better by picking on a single mother who works long hours trying to feed her family.’
- ‘To his critics, he is an compassionless bureaucrat who denies cancer patients lifesaving medicines using red tape and fine print.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.