One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Feeling or showing no sympathy and concern for others.‘his life has been turned upside down by a cold and compassionless government’
- ‘That might make some of these heartless, compassionless people vying for political office think twice about using that office for anything other than the public good.’
- ‘Driven by an insatiable and compassionless greed, the predatory capitalist system won out.’
- ‘What a bunch of mean-spirited, compassionless punks, making themselves feel better by picking on a single mother who works long hours trying to feed her family.’
- ‘How could he be so compassionless, so cruel to his daughter?’
- ‘Garfield's visceral acting and Shaw and Rossen's forceful screenplay compel us, perhaps against our will, to accept Jacob Goff as an amoral, compassionless chiseler.’
- ‘An ill-tempered, compassionless moneygrubber, Scrooge runs roughshod over everyone he encounters.’
- ‘Alcatraz embodies a rigid and compassionless system that strips the humanity from all but the few who have the strength to resist.’
- ‘To his critics, he is an compassionless bureaucrat who denies cancer patients lifesaving medicines using red tape and fine print.’
- ‘Randall has two moods: compassionless and acidic.’
- ‘Just when you think you cannot be shocked by an article on human behaviour - there it is - a new level of compassionless and empathy-devoid intellect that beggars belief.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.