Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of comparing the price of goods or services provided by different shops or companies before making a purchase.
- ‘Maybe Jacob should have done some comparison shopping or checked out Consumer Reports first.’
- ‘There are partial solutions being implemented that automate rate tables for a single carrier or allow limited comparison shopping for a few basic services.’
- ‘Ten years later, Stuart reported on his own comparison shopping.’
- ‘The 2,800-square-meter emporium houses 25 marques under one roof, making comparison shopping - normally a tedious process - a snap.’
- ‘Comparison shopping on the Internet can be helpful, especially for those who look for Canadian pharmacy sites.’
- ‘The customers start using that benefits list for comparison shopping.’
- ‘The consortium estimates the average household could save about $1,000 a year by comparison shopping.’
- ‘Olson says investors buying individual bonds should do a little comparison shopping.’
- ‘During the last shopping trip to my local grocery store, I did some comparison shopping with a few more commonly purchased items.’
- ‘He adds: "The Internet added comparison shopping to the mix."’
- ‘Comparison shopping has its moments of minor euphoria.’
- ‘Once you have these little details in mind, then you can start your comparison shopping.’
- ‘Many people who visit travel sites are just comparison shopping.’
- ‘Feel free to tell the dealer that you are comparison shopping, just don't reveal any quotes you've received.’
- ‘This makes comparison shopping (comparing prices on similar items at different stores) easy.’
- ‘You can also do some comparison shopping for used air compressors at auction sites like eBay.’
- ‘I tend to do plenty of research before making purchases, and do comparison shopping most of the time.’
- ‘The general feeling now is that shows are more for comparison shopping than signing deals.’
- ‘Similarly, the exchange for comparison shopping is really a non-factor barely worth mentioning.’
- ‘For conventional refinances, be sure to do comparison shopping among lenders to find the best terms.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.