Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The practice of comparing the price of goods or services provided by different shops or companies before making a purchase.
- ‘You can also do some comparison shopping for used air compressors at auction sites like eBay.’
- ‘Maybe Jacob should have done some comparison shopping or checked out Consumer Reports first.’
- ‘The general feeling now is that shows are more for comparison shopping than signing deals.’
- ‘This makes comparison shopping (comparing prices on similar items at different stores) easy.’
- ‘Many people who visit travel sites are just comparison shopping.’
- ‘Olson says investors buying individual bonds should do a little comparison shopping.’
- ‘The consortium estimates the average household could save about $1,000 a year by comparison shopping.’
- ‘Comparison shopping has its moments of minor euphoria.’
- ‘I tend to do plenty of research before making purchases, and do comparison shopping most of the time.’
- ‘The 2,800-square-meter emporium houses 25 marques under one roof, making comparison shopping - normally a tedious process - a snap.’
- ‘He adds: "The Internet added comparison shopping to the mix."’
- ‘There are partial solutions being implemented that automate rate tables for a single carrier or allow limited comparison shopping for a few basic services.’
- ‘Once you have these little details in mind, then you can start your comparison shopping.’
- ‘During the last shopping trip to my local grocery store, I did some comparison shopping with a few more commonly purchased items.’
- ‘Ten years later, Stuart reported on his own comparison shopping.’
- ‘For conventional refinances, be sure to do comparison shopping among lenders to find the best terms.’
- ‘The customers start using that benefits list for comparison shopping.’
- ‘Feel free to tell the dealer that you are comparison shopping, just don't reveal any quotes you've received.’
- ‘Comparison shopping on the Internet can be helpful, especially for those who look for Canadian pharmacy sites.’
- ‘Similarly, the exchange for comparison shopping is really a non-factor barely worth mentioning.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.