Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adverb & adjective
Extending throughout a company:[as adjective] ‘a company-wide wage freeze’[as adverb] ‘we recycle the paper we use company-wide’
comprehensive, overall, across the board, blanket, umbrella, mass, total, complete, wholesale, sweeping, panoramic, broad, broad-ranging, extended, inclusive, all-inclusive, all-round, generic, outright, encyclopedic, indiscriminate, catholicView synonyms
- ‘Accountants love nothing more than a constant company-wide charge for a service.’
- ‘Very few new product introductions result in company-wide, double-digit sales increases.’
- ‘"Please find a way to save $1,000, each of you," he wrote in a company-wide email.’
- ‘How you actually achieve such a company-wide customer focus is open to question.’
- ‘We enhanced our corporate ethics program and accounting controls, hired a new Chief Ethics Officer and completed company-wide ethics training.’
- ‘He was asked to present the results in a company-wide management update meeting.’
- ‘New membership joins rose 7 percent this quarter company-wide.’
- ‘Once executives in a company are educated to the risks, there is a much better chance that security practices and policies will be adopted company-wide.’
- ‘The consultants issued a company-wide memorandum requesting that employees refrain from using abusive language.’
- ‘Last Saturday, The New York Times reported that Ford executives have been working behind the scenes to develop a company-wide strategy for carbon-dioxide reductions.’
- ‘We go through four or five cases a week company-wide.’
- ‘With all of the media mergers, there are increased opportunities to reach across different divisions and access company-wide assets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.