One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of steps leading from a ship's deck down to a cabin or lower deck.
- ‘To minimize maintenance, the only wood used in the entire boat is the tiller and the only opening to the area below deck is the companionway.’
- ‘Back at deck level I searched for the companionway to lead me into the ship.’
- ‘Heading back towards the line, past the holds and the wheelhouse, the starboard companionway retains a little more of its wooden cover than the port side does.’
- ‘The master stateroom is aft and can be reached either from the main saloon or a companionway off the aft deck.’
- ‘I made one more trip forward, through the big main cabin, and climbed up the steps of the forward companionway.’
- ‘The main saloon of the Mariner has a settee to starboard just inside the companionway and a convertible dinette to port.’
- ‘She recovered herself and cautiously took two steps up the companionway, just enough to see around her.’
- ‘Having heard steps in the companionway, she decided to leave the cabin.’
- ‘Hornblower stepped into the companionway, walking to her cabin.’
- ‘The pilots' compartment was reached through the companionway leading from the cabin.’
- ‘There is easy access to companionways and cabins, with open hatches and large windows to swim through.’
- ‘I took a relaxed look inside the wheelhouse and made my way along a short companionway to the small aft section.’
- ‘The main points of interest on the three deck levels are the railings, lifeboat davits and companionways.’
- ‘Once on deck, his escort left him, waiting on the main deck next to the companionway.’
- ‘Further aft, the deck reforms and you can see the engine room, with companionways on either side, and doors and spaces where brass portholes used to be.’
- ‘Going out of the bridge by a side door, he ran along the deck space between the wall and the railing, toward the companionway that led down to the dock the ship was tied to.’
- ‘Other key features such as bollards and companionways are still visible and rumour has it the engine room can still be penetrated.’
- ‘Extending his hand to her, he supported her as she picked her way down the companionway to the main deck.’
- ‘Central to this deck level was a companionway leading back towards the bow.’
- ‘Storage is beneath the berth cushions, and an optional portable toilet fits along the companionway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.