One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a marriage or relationship) between partners or spouses as equal companions.‘the ideal of the companionate marriage’
- ‘They focus on early twentieth century women adapting to new concepts of companionate marriage and motherhood, as defined by psychology and popular culture rather than religion.’
- ‘Changes in educational and employment patterns have made the companionate marriage between equals more common.’
- ‘Although the home was patriarchal, by the Victorian era domesticity also entailed a considerable degree of comfort for the middle-class male from his companionate relationship with his wife.’
- ‘These social activities also provided the new social occasions in which husbands and wives shared common social settings and backed the new understanding of a companionate marriage of the couples.’
- ‘The old hierarchical marriage is giving way to a companionate marriage, especially in the urban middle classes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.