One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a marriage or relationship) between partners or spouses as equal companions.‘the ideal of the companionate marriage’
- ‘They focus on early twentieth century women adapting to new concepts of companionate marriage and motherhood, as defined by psychology and popular culture rather than religion.’
- ‘These social activities also provided the new social occasions in which husbands and wives shared common social settings and backed the new understanding of a companionate marriage of the couples.’
- ‘Although the home was patriarchal, by the Victorian era domesticity also entailed a considerable degree of comfort for the middle-class male from his companionate relationship with his wife.’
- ‘The old hierarchical marriage is giving way to a companionate marriage, especially in the urban middle classes.’
- ‘Changes in educational and employment patterns have made the companionate marriage between equals more common.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.