One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a member of an order founded in 1917, for distinguished achievement, with membership limited to sixty-five people.
- ‘In 1953 he had been made Companion of Honour and in 1965 a member of the Order of Merit.’
- ‘Queen Elizabeth II awarded Forster with membership in the Order of Companions of Honour in 1953, and on January 1, 1969 (his ninetieth birthday), he received the Order of Merit.’
- ‘He was made a member of the Royal Society in 1973, a Companion of Honour in 1974, and Knight of the Garter in 1988.’
- ‘The last phase in the creation of British orders came in 1917, with the establishment of the Order of the British Empire and the Order of Companions of Honour.’
- ‘Though he became a Companion of Honour in 2002, he declined a knighthood.’
- ‘The only other national honour, apart from those in the Queen's personal gift, would be the Companion of Honour.’
- ‘He was knighted in 1949 and became a Companion of Honour in 1959.’
- ‘He was awarded the CBE in 1982, and was made a Companion of Honour in 1989.’
- ‘As King, George founded the institution of the Companions of Honour, to reward men and women who had rendered great national service, usually in the fields of arts or culture.’
- ‘She later accepted a Companion of Honour, because ‘you're not called anything, which I like’.’
- ‘His health was deteriorating, and when he was awarded the much prized Order of the Companion of Honour he was unable, because of ill health, to attend the investiture, which was due to take place at Buckingham Palace on November 25.’
- ‘She was created a DBE in 1976 and became a Companion of Honour in 1994.’
- ‘New additions to the system of patronage were the Order of Merit, Companion of Honour, Knights of the Garter and Indian Orders.’
- ‘However, the 58 other books she has published have earned her the title of grande dame of English letters, and she was named a Companion of Honour in the New Year honours list.’
- ‘He was made a Freeman of the City of Bradford, and made Companion of Honour in the Queen's Birthday Honours in June 1997.’
- ‘Knighted in 1958 and appointed a Companion of Honour by the Queen in 1984, in 1961 he became a knight-commander of the Greek Order of the Phoenix.’
- ‘Twice a year the government announces recipients of a host of titles, from knighthoods and damehoods to Companions of Honor, for exceptional achievement or service to the nation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.