Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reduce the signal-to-noise ratio of (a signal) using a compander.‘the largest sample in the block then determines the amount by which the block will be companded’
- ‘The Compander software compander compands without changing the pitch or natural warmth of the audio.’
- ‘Disclosed is a method and apparatus for time companding a digital voice signal wherein, single bits are periodically removed from the digital voice signal, which is then compressed thereby forming a contiguous area of removed bits.’
- ‘It compands the irritation due to the high EO content.’
- ‘E.D.R. compands the audio program for better signal to noise ratios and improved dynamic range.’
- ‘The patch diagrammed in Figure 9.8 shows one very useful application of companding, called a noise gate.’
1950s: back-formation from compander.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.