Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reduce the signal-to-noise ratio of (a signal) using a compander.‘the largest sample in the block then determines the amount by which the block will be companded’
- ‘It compands the irritation due to the high EO content.’
- ‘E.D.R. compands the audio program for better signal to noise ratios and improved dynamic range.’
- ‘The Compander software compander compands without changing the pitch or natural warmth of the audio.’
- ‘The patch diagrammed in Figure 9.8 shows one very useful application of companding, called a noise gate.’
- ‘Disclosed is a method and apparatus for time companding a digital voice signal wherein, single bits are periodically removed from the digital voice signal, which is then compressed thereby forming a contiguous area of removed bits.’
1950s: back-formation from compander.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.