One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who works among the people of a particular area to promote their welfare.
- ‘He is a community worker in Manchester, invests in property and coaches an in-line skating team’
- ‘She worked as a community worker and in an Asian women's refuge for several years after graduating from Oxford University.’
- ‘A Bradford community worker has won a national award for his outstanding contribution to charity.’
- ‘The meeting heard she had overcome an underprivileged childhood to be a staunch community worker in several local organisations.’
- ‘He has been a community worker at a local drugs rehabilitation centre for four months.’
- ‘A community worker who ran an education project helping more than 600 Bradford youngsters and their families has been named as the first director of an organisation aiming to help meet the needs of black and ethnic minorities.’
- ‘Ron, a dedicated community worker, was also the former chairman of the Genesis project - which helps families on the Haverfield estate in Brentford.’
- ‘It will house health visitors, a community nursery nurse and two children's workers as well as a home visitor and a community worker.’
- ‘Coming through this, he developed a new career as a community worker in Belfast, where he experienced many stressful situations typical to the two communities he was trying to help.’
- ‘Stephanie is a committed community worker in the area.’
- ‘While in Bradford he took a degree in applied social studies and afterwards worked for the probation service and as a community worker and social worker in the city.’
- ‘The charity even supplied a community worker to help the family.’
- ‘I have a friend who is a community worker; she used to relish any chance to take a minibus full of young people under the Clyde.’
- ‘It seems clear that young Asians initiated the trouble and there are lots of explanations as to why, but a local community worker outlined one common factor.’
- ‘A COMMITTED community worker who helped thousands of Rochdale residents over years of public service has died.’
- ‘A Manchester community worker said: ‘Local people want to see this site flourish, we need it to and I hope it does.’’
- ‘But one of the most positive things to happen is the employment of the community worker.’
- ‘They say that after the Oldham riots, Greater Manchester Fire Service recruited a community worker to develop a network of contacts and increase trust and confidence.’
- ‘A conscientious community worker, MacIver intends to build on the relationship they have established with the teenage groups.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.