One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Singing by a large crowd or group, especially of old popular songs or hymns.‘it sounded like community singing in a bomb shelter’
- ‘During the community singing, the MC was strolling round the dancefloor.’
- ‘For example military bands were introduced and so forth, and the master of ceremonies was brought in to lead the crowd in community singing, just to give them something to do before the kick-off.’
- ‘The Reverend Canon Ralph Crowe will lead the worship and Father John Kelly will lead community singing.’
- ‘The festival will include a cutest baby competition, community singing, fancy dress, raffles and a tombola, and any money raised will go towards helping the needy and homeless in Acomb.’
- ‘By contrast, the bombed-out Guildhall provided an unusual setting for the community singing, attended by a large crowd who either stood or sat on the stone flags.’
- ‘The afternoon finished with community singing and refreshments.’
- ‘Games, dancing and community singing, accompanied by Mrs James at the piano, formed the entertainment on offer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.