One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sentence whereby an offender is required to perform community service.
- ‘The day ended with most defendants being fined or given community sentences.’
- ‘Appearing to take a tough line on dangerous offenders may have been a trade-off for community sentences.’
- ‘The government, ministers might say, is already convinced of the value of community sentences.’
- ‘The Government wants magistrates to hand out more community sentences.’
- ‘The measures follow a public outcry over failures to monitor released prisoners or to manage offenders serving community sentences who went on to kill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.