Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A branch of medicine dealing with health care issues affecting communities as a whole.
- ‘We also speak today to two remarkable practitioners of community medicine.’
- ‘Because the number of doctors was so small, medical education was focused on community medicine, he said.’
- ‘They came up with a clear message: Psychology must cross boundaries within the field - among practice, science and education - as well as with other professions such as public health and community medicine to forge a prevention path.’
- ‘She specialises in the area of community medicine, handling classes for nursing students, and creating awareness of AIDS among the visitors to the Family Planning Association of India.’
- ‘After the 1974 reorganisation he became a consultant in community medicine.’
- ‘The commission recommended that the school should be firmly based in the disciplines of community medicine and public health and that it should train doctors appropriately for the country's needs.’
- ‘Here on the frontlines of community medicine, it's apparent that for many teachers this drug is a quick and easy fix.’
- ‘The work may prove a very useful source and database for those involved in the treatment and control of tuberculosis, related research, and teaching community medicine.’
- ‘Spending for healthcare is barely one per cent of the gross domestic product; of this amount, less than one-third is earmarked for preventive and community medicine.’
- ‘Despite the pressures of work in Nairobi, he made time for visits with the flying doctor service to remote provincial and mission hospitals, a practice that helped to form his deep concern for community medicine in all its aspects.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.