One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fund for charitable activities among the people in a particular area.
- ‘Parents can also bid for up to £5,000 from a Sure Start community chest to run schemes of their choice.’
- ‘Various funding pots are being explored, including the council's community chest, area forum and the North Yorkshire Area Committee.’
- ‘A £500 grant was donated by their community chest and a variety of fundraising events are being held over the next few months.’
- ‘Among his first public proclamations was a call for the relief of the poor and the establishment of community chests to provide interest-free loans to the needy.’
- ‘Since then, the entry has been funded by the community chest.’
- ‘In turn we are expected to contribute to the community chest when we are well and working.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.