One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a tax, introduced by the Conservative government in 1990 (1989 in Scotland), levied locally on every adult in a community. It was replaced in 1993 by the council tax.Informally called poll tax
- ‘The £10 a week I received in bereavement benefit paid for my community charge and all of my husband's private pension went towards the rent.’
- ‘Our council tax bills are set for their biggest increase since the tax replaced the infamous community charge eleven years ago.’
- ‘We probably pay in the region of £200,000 a year through the community charge for the upkeep of police in Silsden.’
- ‘A proposal to abolish the system of household rates with a community charge led to an upsurge of revolt across the nation.’
- ‘Last year I wrote to the Advertiser asking where the people of Swindon would find the money to cover the increase in community charge.’
- ‘His latest petition to curb community charge increases above inflation is well worth supporting.’
- ‘The council tax, which is despised almost as much as its predecessor the community charge or poll tax, remains, and the inequality of wealth and divisions in society continue at a pace.’
- ‘It introduced the community charge, popularly known as the poll tax.’
- ‘This equates to £148 per household per annum through taxes, National Insurance, community charge, consumer prices, etc.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.