One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where people from a particular neighbourhood can meet for social events, education classes, or recreational activities.
- ‘The venue is the community centre and regular members and new members are more than welcome.’
- ‘When he was 14, he began to hang out at the local community centre's music workshop.’
- ‘I picked her up a few hours later; home to change clothes, then off to gymnastics class at the local community center.’
- ‘A community centre has launched new crèche facilities at its premises.’
- ‘I've been invited to take a nightclass at the local community centre next February.’
- ‘There are art classes for children taking place each Thursday in the community centre.’
- ‘This election is run by a committee engaged in fund-raising for a community centre.’
- ‘She described the community centre and the services provided from it as first class.’
- ‘The services provided at the community centre are an important need for the area.’
- ‘The group then retired to the community centre where light refreshments were served.’
- ‘She said they hoped for fuller use of the community centre and would like to see someone in the building permanently.’
- ‘Light refreshments will be served in the local community centre following the walk.’
- ‘I had just taken a class in first aid down at the community center.’
- ‘It has its own general stores, and there is a community centre where residents can meet up.’
- ‘High among them is the setting up of a similar community centre with a crèche for all two- to five-year-olds.’
- ‘Up to now the classes have been held in the community centre's main sports hall.’
- ‘Indoor football resumes this Thursday night in the community centre at the usual time.’
- ‘The new building will act as a community centre, providing facilities for different groups.’
- ‘They meet regularly in the community centre and new members are invited to attend.’
- ‘Please support your local community centre by coming along for a social evening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.