One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A theory or system of social organization in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs.See also Marxism
collectivism, state ownership, socialism, radical socialismView synonyms
- ‘You don't seem to know the difference between capitalism, communism and socialism.’
- ‘Under socialism or communism, producers of profit and receivers of profit are the same people.’
- ‘Men dominated the occupational system during communism, and this has not changed.’
- ‘First, it has to be remembered that the collapse of communism came quickly and was not anticipated.’
- ‘In Eastern Europe it was abolished with the fall of communism and adoption of democracy.’
- ‘Yesterday's is the fifth fully free parliamentary election since the transition from communism to multiparty democracy in 1989.’
- ‘One of the themes of her book is China's change from old communism to new capitalism.’
- ‘Without him, it might not have been feasible to negotiate the transition from communism to democracy.’
- ‘Capitalism and communism diminish the status of the individual, both as a citizen and as a human being.’
- ‘The chief cause of the end of the cold war was the collapse of communism in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.’
- ‘The Poles' victory at Warsaw was seen at the time as the salvation of European democracy in the face of communism.’
- ‘One might expect that Marx would go on to explain in some detail what communism would be like.’
- ‘These led to the dismantling and collapse of communism throughout Eastern and Central Europe.’
- ‘I returned to Japan in 1948, and I found the red flags of communism everywhere.’
- ‘True communism has no government and people own and operate everything communally.’
- ‘Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union until the collapse of communism a decade ago.’
Mid 19th century: from French communisme, from commun (see common).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.