Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of knowledge dealing with the principles and methods by which information is conveyed:‘the study of communication theory in journalism institutions’
- ‘Modern communications theory teaches that what is being heard is as important as what is being said.’
- ‘He responded, ‘Yes, that's right, it's got a lot to do with social science, behavioural science, communication theory and market research.’’
- ‘Summarizing his findings, he stresses that mathematical and cognitive models from communication theory have neglected the more affective aspects of narrative.’
- ‘She moved to France in 1980 to study language and communications theory at the Université de Paris III, then got an MBA at New York's Columbia Business School.’
- ‘Rather, it is a framework or structure that draws from many other disciplines such as communications theory.’
- ‘I thought it more likely that they simply found it convenient to hunt in packs, but I wanted to learn more about this communication theory.’
- ‘This was the first attempt in communications theory to view the audience as active in their selection of content and messages from the media, and posits that much mass media use is goal-directed.’
- ‘He then went on to teach communication theory at Macquarie University and the London College of Printing.’
- ‘I notice in communications theory that there are a large number of very simple concepts, blatantly obvious facts for the most part, which are dressed up in the most convoluted, pointless and meaningless language!’
- ‘A key word here is ‘information,’ whose usage goes beyond the simple notions of communication theory to embrace the widest possible concept of the creation of dynamic order and pattern.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.