One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for emergency cord
- ‘In her case it was the communication cord on which she was supposed to pull to indicate distress.’
- ‘We tackled these by encouraging passengers to pull the communication cord whenever they saw a crime and offering a reward of £1,000 each time they did.’
- ‘The train is passing a narrow peninsula of land, and on sudden impulse he pulls the communication cord and the train grinds to a halt.’
- ‘The hat blew out of the window, whereupon he pulled the communication cord.’
- ‘British Transport Police received a report that a man had pulled the communication cord and the train stopped on the King Edward Rail Bridge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.