One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for emergency cord
- ‘The hat blew out of the window, whereupon he pulled the communication cord.’
- ‘British Transport Police received a report that a man had pulled the communication cord and the train stopped on the King Edward Rail Bridge.’
- ‘The train is passing a narrow peninsula of land, and on sudden impulse he pulls the communication cord and the train grinds to a halt.’
- ‘In her case it was the communication cord on which she was supposed to pull to indicate distress.’
- ‘We tackled these by encouraging passengers to pull the communication cord whenever they saw a crime and offering a reward of £1,000 each time they did.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.