One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The second Monday in March, on which the British Commonwealth is celebrated. It was instituted to commemorate assistance given to Britain by the colonies during the Boer War (1899–1902).Formerly called Empire Day
- ‘Celebrations to mark Commonwealth Day were held throughout Australia.’
- ‘President Gayoom marked Commonwealth Day with a message acknowledging that the family of nations that grew out of Britain's former colonial past has been a great source of support for the Maldives.’
- ‘The Commonwealth message is delivered on Commonwealth Day, usually the second Monday in March.’
- ‘There are lots of ways to celebrate Commonwealth Day and the opportunity can be taken to impart some valuable knowledge and skills at the same time.’
- ‘There are about 12 holidays in the year, including New Year's Day in January and Commonwealth Day in March.’
- ‘Beyond this special Commonwealth Day and its theme, the Commonwealth's continuing challenges are two-fold: strengthening democracy and promoting development.’
- ‘Her Excellency Barnes - Jones delivered the Queen's Commonwealth Day message to Montserrat, on behalf of Queen Elizabeth the second, who is head of the Commonwealth.’
- ‘On Commonwealth Day the United Kingdom celebrates its membership of the family of Commonwealth nations.’
- ‘Scholars from across the Commonwealth visit schools across England to mark Commonwealth Day and share their culture and experience.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.