One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seal with a mottled grey-brown coat and a concave profile, found along North Atlantic and North Pacific coasts.
Phoca vitulina, family PhocidaeNorth American term harbour seal
- ‘According to the Scotsman, about 38 percent of the world's population of grey seals and 40 percent of European common seals are found in Britain, and of those about 90 percent breed in Scotland.’
- ‘The grey and common seals are cared for, in a special hospital if necessary, then let back into the wild.’
- ‘Ross Flett of Orkney Seal Rescue fears the virus - which killed over 18,000 common seals in 1988-could return to Orkney and would like to hear of any dead seal sightings.’
- ‘It mostly affects common seals, but also grey seals.’
- ‘After spending several months in the weir pool at Linton, the common seal, who was named by the children of Linton on Ouse, has headed up the smaller tributary of the main River Ouse.’
- ‘The seal, which has been plundering fishermen's nets for years, is a grey bull seal, one of two in local waters, and far bigger and more voracious than the smaller common seals, which also live around the coast.’
- ‘This is an ideal setting in which to find a seal or two and, as if on cue, a small common seal popped its head above the surface and inspected us.’
- ‘There has been an abundance of wildlife seen along the way, including large common seals.’
- ‘Dolphins and porpoises accompanied us around Toward Point and into Loch Striven, and a common seal relaxed on the surface above the wreck, possibly attracted by the nearby fish farms.’
- ‘Numbers of common seals have also escalated to more than 40,000 in Scotland alone.’
An official seal of a corporate body.
- ‘At the next community assembly in October, the bailiffs displayed the newly-made common seal.’
- ‘The common seal of the town is to be securely kept in the chest intended for that purpose, under three different locks.’
- ‘The king insisted that they have full power to treat, speak and agree on behalf of their communities, who accordingly delegated this authority to the M.P.s via letters of attorney sealed with the common seal.’
- ‘So it was decided that the old seal should remain as the common seal of the council until a more satisfactory design was forthcoming.’
- ‘The signature which he admitted was his own is on page 13, is on the third page of the bundle beside the company's common seal.’
- ‘A document signed by a director and the secretary of a company, or by two directors of a company, and expressed (in whatever form of words) to be executed by the company has the same effect as if executed under the common seal of the company.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.