One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for brown rat
- ‘Rats need to drink frequently, and so when a colony of up to 25 common rats set up home in my neighbour's stables, they chose a spot with the nearest accessible water - a butt in a secluded corner of my garden.’
- ‘Common rats are the main UK rat pest species, spreading across Britain via the shipping traffic from foreign countries in the 18th Century.’
- ‘Generally, common rats are ground dwelling and burrow in mounds of earth and under dense vegetation.’
- ‘The common rat can be found anywhere that offers food and shelter, which can also include drains and sewers.’
- ‘The Malagasy giant jumping rat, for instance, is at least three times the size of our common rat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.