Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who transacts business on commission, typically on behalf of a principal from another country.
- ‘For four decades now, he has been working in a firewood shop as a daily wage labourer till recently and is now a commission agent.’
- ‘It's the same corrupt arrangement as it existed in the colonial days when the big shot commission agents ran things and oversaw all trading transactions and movement of goods across the hinterlands.’
- ‘Established in 1970 with the approval of the Korean Government, the company is comprised of a group of commission agents representing overseas manufacturers and suppliers.’
- ‘From the 1830s the old expatriate merchant dynasties faced growing competition from commission agents operating on the instruction of traders in the importing market.’
- ‘These days he's a commission agent for a commercial real estate company in Auckland and he's hard to avoid in the media - on television, on radio and with a column in the New Zealand Truth.’
- ‘The economic offences committee will also deal with financial disputes between commission agents and the farmers.’
- ‘Delayed announcement of prices creates serious problems for farmers, private agriculture development agencies like commission agents and even for the procurement agencies in the long run.’
- ‘The very large pools Betfair musters, even on provincial mid-week races in Australia, will be very inviting to commission agents, and other bookmakers.’
- ‘It should also enable them to resists the blandishments of the banks, brokers, and other commission agents plying them with offers of seemingly generous quantities of credit.’
- ‘Money was taken as loan from the commission agent.’
- ‘On the evening after the tsunami, commission agents were said to be hunting for railway building contractors and suppliers of high speed locomotives.’
- ‘Mr Grainger originally joined the firm as a consultant and commission agent in autumn 2003 to work with the then managing director.’
- ‘Where the commission agent concludes a contract with a third person, the commission agent shall directly enjoy rights and assume responsibilities in relation to the said contract.’
- ‘Joseph, who had been a commission agent for the California borax industry for its entire history and whose shares represented the firm's second-largest holding, was made vice president.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.