One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural commies, Plural Commiesderogatory, informal
left-winger, fabian, syndicalist, utopian socialistView synonyms
- ‘I don't support censorship or rooting out the Commies, but I do think it means that mainstream organizers and people of conscience have to take a more active leadership role.’
- ‘And I'd hate to think the Commies were ever ‘winning’.’
- ‘‘Only Commies used words like peace and freedom,’ he later recalled.’
- ‘If you were barmy enough to believe that the Commies really would infiltrate the corridors of power through brain-washing, then you were barmy enough to believe anything.’
- ‘It's now 13 years since the Commies got booted out, and free enterprise is booming.’
left-wing, fabian, syndicalist, utopian socialistView synonyms
- ‘The ruthless Commie officers have to shoot their own soldiers, because they're running away from the Germans.’
- ‘The four Cubans were declared the advance guard of the 1952 Commie contingent.’
- ‘Number one is Cuba, the perfect destination if you love those ‘faded Commie icons,‘as the magazine put it.’
- ‘For fifty years, Poland was under Nazi, then Stalinist, then various other forms of Commie domination.’
- ‘Why are you going to show us that Commie movie?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.