One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bank that offers services to the general public and to companies.
financial institutionView synonyms
- ‘As expected, commercial banks in Namibia have announced upward adjustments in their prime lending rates and home loans rates.’
- ‘Earnings fell on Wall Street, but commercial banks have had spectacular success.’
- ‘And indeed, one can even argue that commercial banks are largely carry trade organizations.’
- ‘In 1881 the population was around 260, and the town had two commercial banks, a savings bank and a flour mill.’
- ‘The rates will be over 2 percentage points, lower than those generally offered by commercial banks.’
- ‘Not all central banks, however, require commercial banks to deposit reserves.’
- ‘Currently the minimum deposits that commercial banks are asking for are too high excluding a lot of Zambians from financial services.’
- ‘Cutting the Bank Rate will spur commercial banks to bring down their lending rates to borrowers.’
- ‘Members of the public can exchange the defect notes for good ones at any commercial bank or at the central bank offices.’
- ‘Thailand has a large and relatively modern commercial sector, with domestic and foreign commercial banks and a stock exchange.’
- ‘He said by working with commercial banks, the project would be able to help farmers especially small-scale ones to obtain loans.’
- ‘The Chinese central bank has twice raised the reserve requirements for commercial banks and signalled that it is prepared to raise interest rates.’
- ‘This comes in the wake of the increase last week in the bank rate - the rate at which the country's central bank lends to commercial banks.’
- ‘The potential expansionary effects of the transaction are shown as increases in the assets and liabilities of both the central bank and the commercial bank.’
- ‘If government spending is financed by borrowing from commercial banks, it means credit expansion and inflation.’
- ‘Eventually, you should secure traditional loans or a line of credit through a commercial bank to acquire the assets you need for your start-up.’
- ‘Irish bank notes will be exchanged at commercial banks until the end of 2002.’
- ‘No commercial bank is happy to finance solar equipment, he adds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.