Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Art used in advertising and selling.
- ‘In Boston, DeCora continued working in commercial art, as an illustrator and graphic designer.’
- ‘Leslie turned his hand to illustrating and other forms of commercial art in order to earn a living and he was commissioned to do the cover design for a magazine.’
- ‘This is an outlet for my commercial art, fashion design and publishing work.’
- ‘He says: ‘I did life drawing and all that sort of thing, but I took over commercial art because I thought it was more interesting.’’
- ‘‘It has built up slowly over the years,’ says 55-year-old John, who trained in signwriting and commercial art at Gloucester Art School many years ago.’
- ‘Instead it is a fee charged for all the hassles attendant to the ‘design by committee’ process that is a matter of course in commercial art.’
- ‘An obsession for some, big money for others, the sneaker is ultimate commercial art.’
- ‘I suppose the general idea of the book is to trace the history of commercial art in Modern India from calendars to early advertisements to movie posters.’
- ‘People in the creative field, especially those in commercial art, advertising, music and movies, want the special day to be a memorable one… in more ways than one.’
- ‘In the early 20th century airbrushes were used mainly for photographic retouching, and their principal use is now in commercial art.’
- ‘He was born in London and after leaving school at 14 worked in advertising and commercial art whilst attending evening classes in painting.’
- ‘In the recent past there was no art market either, no commercial art.’
- ‘Blinder blurred the line between museum art and decorative art, commercial art and fine art when he began selling Warhol paintings in a ground floor retail store.’
- ‘I tried to get my head around the idea that Farley somehow didn't consider his own work commercial art, even though every fiber of its creation shouted BUY ME.’
- ‘For more advanced students, this type of subject matter can neatly extend into studies of mythological creatures as well as aspects of commercial art and story illustrations.’
- ‘I want my students to be prepared for commercial art employment, and it seems that commercial art is mainly being done on the computer.’
- ‘During these years she did a number of freelance design jobs in commercial art, including logos, layouts and drawings for fashion advertisements.’
- ‘He adds, ‘The new division will round out our course offerings to prepare students to enter and excel in the world of commercial art.’’
- ‘Many of these advertisements broke new ground and initiated a completely fresh style in British commercial art.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.