One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knight of an Italian order of chivalry.
- ‘In 2002, he was made a Commendatore in Italys National Order of Merit.’
- ‘In 1990 the Italian Republic decorated him as a Commendatore, the Presidential Order of Merit, for his service to museums.’
- ‘It's as if the whole society was fashioned of the same grim, unyielding stone as the Commendatore's statue.’
- ‘Oh and there was blood and violence - firstly when the Commendatore got brutally murdered.’
- ‘He was a Commendatore and Cavaliere of the Order of the Crown of Italy and a member of many foreign academies and orders.’
Italian, from Latin commendator, based on commendare ‘entrust’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.