One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The detachable control compartment of a manned spacecraft.
- ‘The command module served as the crew's quarters and flight control section.’
- ‘Mike Collins, the man who was in the command module orbiting as they were on the moon.’
- ‘And the command module that came back to earth is unbelievably tiny, as are lots of the other craft that took astronauts into space in that era.’
- ‘The three astronauts travelled in the command module, which was docked during flight to both the lunar module and the service module, the latter carrying fuel and supplies.’
- ‘The command module from the Apollo 10 mission is at the Science Museum in London.’
- ‘Apollo traveled to the Moon with the lunar module attached to the command module.’
- ‘This will be the first spacecraft of its kind since the Apollo command module.’
- ‘A third U.S. astronaut, Michael Collins, was in the orbiting command module overhead.’
- ‘The orbiter will separate and become a satellite after the command module returns to earth.’
- ‘All three stages of the rocket booster plus the command module and the lunar module on top - had less computing capacity combined than today's typical cell phone.’
- ‘Only the command module - the very tip of the original Crew Launch Vehicle - will return to Earth beneath a canopy of parachutes.’
- ‘The command module containing the crew took a different flight profile to the other modules, entering the Earth's atmosphere three hours after undocking at 23: 44 CEST.’
- ‘Unlike those two modules, the command module containing the crew is equipped with a heat shield and took a different flight profile, entering the Earth's atmosphere about 25 minutes before landing.’
- ‘In addition to taking photographs, the orbiting command module also released a small satellite which measured minute differences in the Moon's gravity and magnetic properties.’
- ‘At 24,791 MPH the crew of the command module Apollo 10 reached the greatest speed ever traveled by humans.’
- ‘During Apollo, one man remained behind in the Moon-orbiting command module.’
- ‘When the command module drifted across that point in space, its speed increased once again, and it accelerated toward the Moon.’
- ‘On April 13, 1970, three days out from Earth, an oxygen tank exploded in the service module of the spacecraft, disabling the Apollo command module.’
- ‘Michael Collins, as long as we're - I mentioned regaling old tales, this time 35 years ago, you were alone in that command module.’
- ‘What should have been a routine operation goes terribly awry when the command module and landing module are destroyed by an Unidentified Flying Object.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.