One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stop moving; settle.‘the lift came to rest at the first floor’
a standstill, a halt, a stopView synonyms
- ‘The vehicle slid to a stop 22 m downstream of its position at impact and came to rest against the downstream section of guardrail.’
- ‘The golden coach bearing the Queen and her family came to rest close behind.’
- ‘The airplane came to rest, upright and on fire, on grass-covered soil, about 290 feet to the left of the departure end of runway 13R.’
- ‘It got nearer and nearer until it eventually came to rest in the centre of the park.’
- ‘The pointer came to rest in about 6 seconds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.