One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be defeated in a competition.‘the team came off second best in a seven goal match’
be defeated, be beaten, suffer defeat, be the loser, be conquered, be vanquished, be trounced, be worsted, be bested by, get the worst, have the worst, come off second-best, lose out, fail, come to grief, meet one's waterlooView synonyms
- ‘He said: ‘We have come off second best to Ulster of late and we will certainly be treating them with respect.’’
- ‘But gutsy Roscommon showed they had no intention of coming off second best to the side that lost last year's All Ireland final after a replay.’
- ‘Although Best was the local boy made good, Johnstone did not come off second best in the area that the Celtic skipper grew up.’
- ‘In all the outfield exchanges, Mount Sion were coming off second best but the Waterford champions were thrown a lifeline in the ninth minute.’
- ‘They are already in deep planning to work out how they can appear to handle this Convention and not come off second best.’
- ‘Veteran Noade made the announcement after coming off second best in a warm-up bout in Barcelona last week.’
- ‘Two minutes later Kelly was in collision with a defender when attempting to advance a Nevin raid, but came off second best.’
- ‘Now, while away, I saw much of the Dean-Nader debate, and Nader came off second best.’
- ‘Teenage midfielder Byron Webster limped out of the action on 32 minutes after coming off second best in a challenge.’
- ‘From looking at the video, I went for a tackle, took a bang on the side of the head and came off second best.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.