One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Long-stapled wool with straight, parallel fibres, suitable for combing and making into high-quality fabrics, in particular worsted.Compare with carding wool
- ‘Complementing its full carding wool range, it is able to offer scoured combing wools to meet the most discerning wool top maker's requirements.’
- ‘In recent years the company has branched into combing wools and are now commanding a considerable share of the market, with some 75,000 bales of combing wool being exported in 1998 / 1999.’
- ‘Light burr in combing wools can be removed by mechanical action.’
- ‘Bedford, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, and Norfolk has been accounted the longest and finest combing wool.’
- ‘All three contracts call for the delivery of merino combing wool.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.