One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lock that is opened by rotating a set of marked or numbered dials to show a specific sequence.
- ‘I twirled the combination lock and opened my locker.’
- ‘She lifted the picture off the wall, set it aside, and saw that there was a silver dial, like a combination lock, on the wall.’
- ‘The combination lock clicked open, and he shoved his schoolbooks in messily.’
- ‘There's a combination lock on a drawer so no one could get into it.’
- ‘She arrived at her locker, expertly opening her combination lock and then unpacking her backpack with the many textbooks it held.’
- ‘She began rolling the combination lock at her locker.’
- ‘I stepped in front and began to turn the combination lock.’
- ‘He just rolled his eyes so I returned to opening my combination lock.’
- ‘With a final slam, she locked her locker by twisting the combination lock beside the keyhole.’
- ‘The press of the coded buttons opens the combination lock, easily re-set by the owner, even with no visible light.’
- ‘The cases have a combination lock and two to four key locks.’
- ‘He threw his binder into his locker and hastily locked the combination lock back on.’
- ‘About the size of a deck of cards, it has a three-digit combination lock with a built-in motion detector and a steel cable that locks to your laptop or briefcase.’
- ‘He turned the combination lock on one and opened the door, revealing a stack of books and notebooks, with dozens of papers mixed within.’
- ‘She turned the combination lock and her locker swung open.’
- ‘It has a quick-entry combination lock and holds two large-frame pistols.’
- ‘Eventually arriving at his locker, he quickly spun the three numbers needed to unlock the combination lock and pulled upwards on the latch, opening the rickety metal door.’
- ‘She reached her locker and casually flipped it open, using her combination lock.’
- ‘In some designs, the standard combination lock is supplemented by a direct key lock that gives the owner immediate access to their safe.’
- ‘But seeing that the vandal was nowhere in sight, she opened the locker, emptied out everything she didn't need, and clamped her combination lock on it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.