One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine or appliance with two or more functions.as modifier ‘a combi oven’
- ‘In the gathering evening, smoke wafted into the big combi.’
- ‘The kitchen includes a combi boiler, base and wall units, and complementary work surfaces.’
- ‘Computers, combi TVs and DVD's, stereos and playstations are all high on the Christmas list this year and are available at highly competitive rates throughout the city.’
- ‘I also like Vegemite sandwiches, and I've travelled in a fried-out combi.’
- ‘Without the ability to produce enormous volumes right off, the combi machine pays off through long-term, relentless production, reduced downtime, and controlled costs.’
- ‘Knowing that the one harvester will not manage to keep the forwarder busy in this small wood, the contractor is looking to the combi machine to balance the operation for maximum use.’
- ‘I thought it was something to do with the fault with our combi.’
- ‘However if you have a combi boiler, therefore no water tank, they have to provide you with bottled water.’
1960s: abbreviation of combination.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.