One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Loose trousers with large patch pockets halfway down each leg, typically made of hard-wearing cotton.
- ‘A jungle theme is apparent throughout with net tops for men and women and combat trousers with bell and bottoms for blokes.’
- ‘She described a man in his late teens to early 20s, wearing a dark leather jacket and dark combat trousers with scruffy blond hair.’
- ‘It wasn't only us who were keen to throw off our city suits and urban combat trousers.’
- ‘I've recently had the desire to expand my wardrobe beyond t-shirts and combat trousers and to experiment with colours a bit.’
- ‘The second is aged between 30 to 40, squat, of stocky build and wearing a black shirt, green combat trousers and boots.’
- ‘He wore combat trousers and a dark hat with a white motif.’
- ‘He looked like some sort of soldier, sitting in the driver seat in his combat trousers and vest, hands firmly on the wheel, his jaw pointing at the horizon and his eyes on the road.’
- ‘He was wearing a cream jumper, dark combat trousers and black boots.’
- ‘He wore a dark hooded top and green army-style combat trousers.’
- ‘I made the mistake of wearing big baggy combat trousers to the tailors and basically they have copied the style for the new trousers when I was hoping for some a little more formal.’
- ‘On the morning we meet she is casually dressed in black satin combat trousers, a black T-shirt under a lilac, lace-trimmed cardigan worn with black trainers.’
- ‘I was in a green parka, combat trousers and had had dirty stubble put all over my chin.’
- ‘I didn't mind the quip because, in reality, I did resemble a rather large, over-inflated Michelin man with my balaclava tucked into a black, bubble-wrap style jacket and thick combat trousers.’
- ‘She was just giving me a lift and her girlfriend, although dressed like a commando, refused to give me the passenger seat and lie in the back in case it made her combat trousers dirty.’
- ‘Granted, the welly is one of a long line of military garments - including chinos, trench-coats, desert boots and combat trousers - that have made the transition from the barrack room to the civilian wardrobe.’
- ‘He has filled out considerably, seems to have aged at an exponential rate and, tonight, looks every inch the trendy uncle in his hooded top and combat trousers.’
- ‘And she's the first person I've ever seen who looks splendid in ruched combat trousers.’
- ‘He was wearing a black leather jacket with combat trousers.’
- ‘Only a few Scots were present, along with some dubious-looking extras wearing very pristine combat trousers and brand new hiking boots.’
- ‘At a junction where the traffic lights had stuck on red a man in a flak jacket and combat trousers took it upon himself to direct the sparse traffic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.