Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The temperature at which a black body would emit radiation of the same colour as a given object.
- ‘According to a basic physics definition, this light has a high color temperature, while evening light has a far lower color temperature.’
- ‘To achieve a lower color temperature - for example, to create lamps that mimic the color temperature of incandescent light sources - we need to develop a phosphor that emits more strongly in the red region of the spectrum.’
- ‘The color temperature proved to be exceedingly high.’
- ‘Digital cameras have built-in white balance to compensate for the color temperature of the light source.’
- ‘A bulb's wavelength, as determined by its color temperature, can also play odd tricks on the eye.’
- ‘Illumination is provided by a ceramic filament operating at a color temperature of 1200°C with a lifetime exceeding 10,000 hours.’
- ‘Most incandescent lamps operate with a color temperature of approximately 2900 degrees Kelvin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.