One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rank of non-commissioned officer in the Army and Royal Marines, above sergeant and below warrant officer.
- ‘Bettridge served in the army as a colour sergeant before leaving six years ago to work as a crane driver.’
- ‘He joined the Royal Navy aged 15 and was a colour sergeant in the 1st Battalion, Rhodesia Regiment.’
- ‘Mr Parker, a former Army colour sergeant who has served in the Middle and Far East with the Royal Marines and Royal Military Police, is not easily shocked.’
- ‘Suddenly, the color sergeant, who carried the flag, crumpled to the ground.’
- ‘But Ministry of Defence rules dating back to 1947 state family accommodation can only be provided to Gurkhas holding the rank of colour sergeant or above.’
With reference to the sergeant's responsibility for carrying one of the regiment's colours in a guard of honour.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.