Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A genetic or seasonal variation in the colour of the skin, pelt, or feathers of an animal.‘a rare smoky-blue colour phase of the black bear’
- ‘The third color phase occurs during the first pelage of young wolves.’
- ‘The Ferruginous Hawk has a light and a dark color phase.’
- ‘But whether we can report a new color phase or an entirely new species, it is an important step in cataloging Cambodia's wildlife treasures at a turning point in the country's history.’
- ‘Now that we know that such bears can be found, it means we are probably looking at a new color phase or subspecies, which is important to document - or possibly a new species of bear, which would be a major biological discovery.’
- ‘Rough-legged Hawks are variable in plumage, with light and dark color phases and variations in between.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.