Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring the intensity of colour.
- ‘Joseph W. Lovibond invented a visual colorimeter and a system for colorimetry based on subtractive color mixing.’
- ‘In order to judge the quality of the monitors, we used different work applications, including games, films and a colorimeter.’
- ‘All you need is a device called a colorimeter, which attaches to your screen and adjusts your monitor automatically to display the correct hues.’
- ‘Today, companies throughout the world use our colorimeters in the analysis of products ranging from beer to petrol, chemicals to coatings and beverages.’
- ‘Unfortunately, we didn't have a colorimeter handy, so couldn't verify the actual setting across the grayscale range.’
- ‘For contrast ratio, we take five readings with the colorimeter: one dead-center and one at each of the display's four corners.’
- ‘They also used a colorimeter to measure the amount of white bloom that developed on the chocolate samples, enabling them to link changes in polymorphic form to the onset of visual bloom.’
- ‘If I'd had access to a colorimeter and a scanning electronic microscope I certainly would have used them too.’
- ‘At set time points, absorbance measurements were taken with a colorimeter.’
- ‘Professionals use a device called a colorimeter to measure the actual computer display and create a profile that is then used to reproduce colors faithfully.’
- ‘In the beaker-strewn lab, they add chemicals that will react with contaminants by turning a certain color, and measure the change with a colorimeter.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin color colour + -meter.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.