One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance secreted by bone marrow which promotes the growth and differentiation of stem cells into colonies of specific blood cells.
- ‘Growth factors are members of the cytokine family, which includes interleukins and colony-stimulating factors.’
- ‘Patients treated with granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) had significantly improved blood flow around blocked heart arteries compared with those who received a placebo.’
- ‘They are a large group of molecules and include the interferons, interleukins, and various colony-stimulating factors (CSFs).’
- ‘The maturation of white blood cells in the bone marrow and their release into the circulation are influenced by colony-stimulating factors, interleukins, tumor necrosis factor and complement components.’
- ‘Importantly, granulocyte-monocyte colony-stimulating factor has been demonstrated to improve gas exchange in a small series of patients with severe sepsis and respiratory dysfunction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.