One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Old World monkey of a mainly leaf-eating group that includes the colobus monkeys, langurs, and leaf monkeys.
- ‘Among Asian colobines are Borneo's proboscis monkey, the Chinese snub-nosed monkeys and langurs, such as the douc of South-east Asia.’
- ‘There were five primate lineages studied here: hominoids, colobines, cercopithecines, platyrrhines (New World monkeys), and lemurs.’
- ‘The two top models differ in class allocation for a single branch - the ancestor of colobines and cercopithecines.’
- ‘The RNase1 gene was duplicated twice in ancestral ruminants at least 40 MYA, and it was also duplicated in the douc langur, an Asian colobine, approximately 4 MYA.’
- ‘Notably, the postcrania of these fossil cercopithecines and colobines are quite similar (unlike the situation today) and suggest semi-terrestrial habits.’
1950s: from modern Latin Colobinae, based on Greek kolobos ‘cut short’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.