One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of small swellings in the roof of the midbrain, involved in vision and hearing.
- ‘Each sensory input is distributed across the superior colliculus to form a neural ‘map’ in a particular layer of the nucleus.’
- ‘This decussation occurs in the midbrain tegmentum at the level of the inferior colliculi.’
- ‘For example, the analysis found a relative increase in the distance between the superior colliculus and the splenium of the corpus collosum in patients.’
- ‘The posterior thalamic or pulvinar nuclei project backwards over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.’
- ‘Normally it extends caudally over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of collis ‘hill’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.