One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An order of insects that comprises the springtails.
- ‘Accordingly, hexapods are not monophyletic, and both Collembola and ectognathian insects evolved independently from crustacean-like arthropods.’
- ‘Springtails, members of the order Collembola have a history as long as the presence of insects on land, and fossils show that their basic wingless, eyeless body plan has not changed substantially in that time.’
- ‘Tetrodontophora bielanensis is a representative of the apterygotan order Collembola.’
- ‘The world's most abundant insect (although taxonomists debate if they are true insects), Collembola have been around for at least 400 million years and exist in as many as 100,000 varieties.’
- ‘Based on their mouthparts, Hennig joined Protura, Collembola, and Diplura into Entognatha (with enclosed mouthparts), in contrast to Ectognatha (Insecta sensu stricto, with exposed mouthparts).’
- 1.1 Insects of the order "Collembola" ; springtails.‘most collembola live in damp places’
- ‘The soil dwelling collembola typically feed on decaying vegetative material, fungi, and bacteria and other species feed on an array of things such as arthropod feces, pollen, algae, and many other substances and materials.’
- ‘In a separate component of this study, more invertebrates were trapped in upland arrays but most were Collembola.’
- ‘Nematodes, Collembola and mites (oribatid, prostigmatid and astigmatid) are known to consume lichens as food.’
- ‘Those insects with the lowest [delta] 15 N values - midges and Collembola - are thought to be prominent in the diets of knots and turnstones.’
- ‘The study of Collembola is important in this.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek kolla ‘glue’ + embolon ‘peg, stopper’ (with reference to the sticky substance secreted by the ventral tube of the insects).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.