Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An object valued by collectors, because it is rare, beautiful, or has some special interest.
- ‘The poster is a limited edition one of only 250 made and would be a real collector's item for golfing fans.’
- ‘With highly refined craftsmanship, his woven batik cloth is given a touch of beautiful embroidery to make it not only a functional piece of clothing but also a collector's item.’
- ‘At more than 800 pages, it is destined to become a collector's item of extraordinary value, not least because the print run is limited to 10,000 copies.’
- ‘He said the campaign was not only appealing to active criminals but those who owned relics, collectors' items or unlicensed weapons.’
- ‘All the books have been donated and some will be collectors' pieces.’
- ‘Then the collectors' pieces will be auctioned at Maine Road on March 16 after City's game with Birmingham City.’
- ‘It is housed in a superbly carved oak case whose interior is decorated with an inlaid walnut plaque of deer in a forest; this is a rare collector's piece, well worth its estimate of £10,000 - £15,000.’
- ‘The Black Shadow is a rare bike and was a collector's item even at the time it was manufactured.’
- ‘Among the toys taken in the small hours of last Friday were many collectors' items and limited editions, bringing the rough value of the theft to between £1,500 and £2,000.’
- ‘Old quilts became collectors' items, valued for their skill, design and history.’
- ‘Although its role in Javanese society has been greatly diminished, there is still a great deal of interest in the traditional weapon as a collector's item.’
- ‘In the years since, the record's become a collector's item among comic strip fanatics and devotees of novelty music.’
- ‘Its catalogue, the English-language version printed in only two thousand copies and destined to become a collector's item, will be a starting point for all future scholars working in this area.’
- ‘This also makes the book a collector's item, because it is the most comprehensive collection of his poetry to date.’
- ‘In fact, these unique maps have become collectors' items for people not only in India but also abroad.’
- ‘The collection is now available on CD for the very first time and is a real collector's item for fans of the showband era.’
- ‘The Association of Model Exhibitors is displaying collectors' items such as cars, railways, doll's houses and wind-up gramophones.’
- ‘A unique convergence of design elements makes this Argentine pistol a real collector's piece - and a very enjoyable shooter.’
- ‘Such publications as The Snow Bunting and The Greenshank have become collectors' pieces because of their rarity.’
- ‘With the onset of MGB production, these cars have become collectors' items.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.