One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An object valued by collectors, because it is rare, beautiful, or has some special interest.
- ‘Although its role in Javanese society has been greatly diminished, there is still a great deal of interest in the traditional weapon as a collector's item.’
- ‘With the onset of MGB production, these cars have become collectors' items.’
- ‘Its catalogue, the English-language version printed in only two thousand copies and destined to become a collector's item, will be a starting point for all future scholars working in this area.’
- ‘All the books have been donated and some will be collectors' pieces.’
- ‘This also makes the book a collector's item, because it is the most comprehensive collection of his poetry to date.’
- ‘A unique convergence of design elements makes this Argentine pistol a real collector's piece - and a very enjoyable shooter.’
- ‘Old quilts became collectors' items, valued for their skill, design and history.’
- ‘Among the toys taken in the small hours of last Friday were many collectors' items and limited editions, bringing the rough value of the theft to between £1,500 and £2,000.’
- ‘The Black Shadow is a rare bike and was a collector's item even at the time it was manufactured.’
- ‘Then the collectors' pieces will be auctioned at Maine Road on March 16 after City's game with Birmingham City.’
- ‘At more than 800 pages, it is destined to become a collector's item of extraordinary value, not least because the print run is limited to 10,000 copies.’
- ‘In fact, these unique maps have become collectors' items for people not only in India but also abroad.’
- ‘It is housed in a superbly carved oak case whose interior is decorated with an inlaid walnut plaque of deer in a forest; this is a rare collector's piece, well worth its estimate of £10,000 - £15,000.’
- ‘He said the campaign was not only appealing to active criminals but those who owned relics, collectors' items or unlicensed weapons.’
- ‘In the years since, the record's become a collector's item among comic strip fanatics and devotees of novelty music.’
- ‘Such publications as The Snow Bunting and The Greenshank have become collectors' pieces because of their rarity.’
- ‘The collection is now available on CD for the very first time and is a real collector's item for fans of the showband era.’
- ‘The poster is a limited edition one of only 250 made and would be a real collector's item for golfing fans.’
- ‘The Association of Model Exhibitors is displaying collectors' items such as cars, railways, doll's houses and wind-up gramophones.’
- ‘With highly refined craftsmanship, his woven batik cloth is given a touch of beautiful embroidery to make it not only a functional piece of clothing but also a collector's item.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.