Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The state of being calm and self-controlled:‘she is the very picture of collectedness and confidence’
composure, assurance, self-assurance, self-control, calmness, coolness, cool headView synonyms
- ‘The two of them basically radiated calm, cool, collectedness.’
- ‘He replied with his usual collectedness, "As it's been settled, let's not discuss it".’
- ‘I felt a calmness and collectedness I hadn't experienced in years after my little rendezvous with Tim over coffee and apple pie.’
- ‘In our interview, she was the very picture of collectedness and confidence, but at one point the pressure did get to her.’
- ‘Normally I'm alright with exams, and the guy sitting to my right during last year's history mods proclaimed me to be the essence of calm and collectedness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.