Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of the pair of bones joining the breastbone to the shoulder blades.Also called clavicle
- ‘The second woman had dislocated her collarbone from her sternum, which rapidly began to swell.’
- ‘It still hurts my collarbones, but I'd rather have sore collarbones after the race than have other injuries like a neck injury.’
- ‘In addition, the arms are linked through the chest barrel, from shoulder to shoulder, on the yoke of the collarbones, much like an armature, the metal framework on which a sculpture is molded.’
- ‘The cable crossover from the low pulleys is a superb way to beef up those upper and inner pec muscles that jut out from your collarbones.’
- ‘Clark was knocked out and had his jaw broken and his collarbone broken 10 minutes into the game.’
- ‘Draw your shoulder blades toward each other and feel broad across the collarbones.’
- ‘Use it to highlight the arch of your brows, cheekbones or collarbones - but don't overdo it or you'll look like something out of Taboo.’
- ‘The accident left him with limited movement on his right side and he suffered a broken rib cage and collarbone and collapsed lungs.’
- ‘I've tried to tell her that visible collarbones are considered very attractive nowadays, to which I got a frightfully rhino-like snort from my eavesdropping dad and a pitiful look from my mom.’
- ‘Areas such as collarbones, shoulders, nipples, breasts, bottom, ankles and soles of the feet need special care.’
- ‘He let his hand trail down my neck to my collarbone, and then continued down my bare shoulder and down my arm.’
- ‘He suffered broken vertebrae in his neck and broke his collarbone and six ribs.’
- ‘The finished tattoo will cover the area from the collarbone to the elbows, all the back and torso, down to the ankles.’
- ‘Since her diagnosis she broke her collarbone, her wrist and her back in a riding accident.’
- ‘It's not practical to cast ribs and collarbones (clavicles).’
- ‘Colin had muscle damage to his back, while Erin fractured her collarbone and a finger.’
- ‘On the inhalation, the collarbones lift, the diaphragm flattens and descends, pushing out the belly, and the pelvic floor descends.’
- ‘My shoulders were going to be avoiding shrugs until my collarbone had recovered.’
- ‘A specialist in Frankfurt has prepared a shoulder brace for Stoner to wear to protect his collarbone.’
- ‘Let the collarbones feel open so your shoulders are not like dog-eared pages.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.