Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The relationship between the linear sequence of nucleic acid bases in the DNA of the gene and the sequence of amino acids in the protein encoded by the DNA.
- ‘The almost perfect colinearity of chromosome 20 sequence in humans and mouse could be interpreted as evidence that their form was ancestral to primates.’
- ‘Ironically, our studies establishing gene - protein colinearity were performed with an enzyme consisting of two polypeptides encoded by adjacent genes in E. coli.’
- ‘However, a number of genes not showing any colinearity were also identified.’
- ‘However, temporal colinearity of Hox gene expression and compact Hox clusters have so far only been described in the cephalochordate, amphioxus, and in vertebrates, but not in Cnidaria, Lophotrochozoa, or Ecdysozoa.’
- ‘The order and colinearity of these genes seems not to be disrupted between the two species.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.