One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Belonging to a group of rod-shaped bacteria typified by E. coli.
- ‘The test for coliform bacteria is relatively inexpensive and easy to perform.’
- ‘Much of the debate over the Florida Keys no-discharge area focused on the fact that water quality problems in the sanctuary were largely from land-based sources and those pollutants are largely nutrients, not fecal coliform bacteria.’
- ‘One specific subgroup of coliform are fecal coliform bacteria, the most common of which is Escherichia coli, known widely as E. coli.’
- ‘Even on a good day the river Ganges picks up levels of fecal coliform bacteria as it flows past Varanasi that are 10,000 times the World Health Organisation's standards for drinking water.’
- ‘The model also allowed USGS researchers to measure water-quality effects in terms of loads, the total amount of a contaminant, such as fecal coliform bacteria, that is transported past a monitoring station over a given period of time.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin coli ‘of the colon’ + -form.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.